Shamrock Rovers 0-2 Ferencváros (0-6 on aggregate)

Report: Ryan McMullen

It’s all eyes on the league for Shamrock Rovers as our European campaign comes to a close at the hands of Ferencváros.

Following last week’s defeat in Budapest, Hoops head coach Stephen Bradley made six changes going into the second-leg tie in Tallaght. Leon Pohls, Sean Gannon, Kieran Cruise, Graham Burke and Conan Noonan all came into the side in place of Alan Mannus, Lee Grace, Sean Kavanagh, Liam Burt and Richie Towell.

The Hoops started the game on the front foot and had an early chance to take the lead on the night in the 12th minute when Graham Burke fed the ball into the path of Johnny Kenny who forced an impressive reaction save from goalkeeper Dines Dibusz before the ball rebounded back to Sean Gannon who saw his shot bounce off the woodwork.

Rovers had another chance shortly after when Kenny found the end of a cross from Burke just in front of goal, his header was tipped over the crossbar and he was denied by Dibusz once again.

Rovers had the brighter start and enjoyed a lot of possession in the early stages but it was Ferencváros who would make the breakthrough on the half-hour mark. Adama Traore drove forward and played the ball into the path of Barnabas Varga whose cut back found Kristoffer Zachariassen with his goalbound effort ricocheting off Lopes past Pohls into the bottom corner of the net.

Rovers had some half chances following the concession of the goal, although couldn’t manage to find the goal their first-half play deserved with Ferencváros going in at halftime a goal to the good.

Ferencváros set up in a more conservative shape in the second half, with a comfortable aggregate cushion in mind. Rovers however kept pushing to try and find an equaliser on the night.

The Hoops made a triple substitution in the 62nd minute with the introduction of Naj Razi as well as Aaron Greene and Liam Burt in an attempt to freshen up the side.

Johnny Kenny was taken off as part of the triple substitution, Kenny had led the attack very well throughout and was unlucky not to find the net on the night.

16-year-old Razi, in particular, looked very dangerous going forward and brought some extra energy to the team, his work rate was almost rewarded when he played a nice cross into the box although it was slightly too ahead of the on-rushing Markus Poom.

Ferancvàros found their second of the night late on in the 89th minute as Samy Mmaee took a shot following a corner, the ball went straight into the right corner beating Leon Pohls in the Rovers goal making it 6-0 on aggregate for Ferencvàros seeing them go through into the next round.

The full focus will now be on retaining the league title and we are back in action on Sunday with a huge game against Cork City, Kick-off is at 6pm in Tallaght Stadium.

Shamrock Rovers: Pohls, Cleary, Lopes ©, Hoare (Finn 71’), Gannon, Noonan (Burt 62’), Poom, O’Neill (Watts 46’), Cruise, Kenny (Greene 62’), Burke (Razi 62’).

Shamrock Rovers unused substitutes: Mannus, Kavanagh, Towell, Tetteh, Leitis, Lennox.

Ferencváros: Dibusz ©, Makreckis, Mmaee, Cisse (Knoester 66’), Ramirez (Paszka 46’), Siger (Esiti 46’), Romdhane, Traore (Kwabena 46’), Zachariassen, Marquinhos, Varga (Lisztes 66’).

Ferencváros unused substitutes: Varga, Nguen, Barath, Katona, Ori.