U19 Pat's 2:1 Rovers



St. Patrick’s Athletic 2 (Boyne, Chindea)

Shamrock Rovers 1 (Lennon-Maher)

FAI Airtricity Under 19 League

Saturday 20th October, 2012

At Richmond Park


Make no mistake about it, this was a full-blooded Dublin derby as good as any seen at Richmond Park between two rivals with a keen history between them. It began in a flurry and finished in a flurry. The Hoops were trailing 2-0 from an early stage but got a goal back with five minutes of normal time remaining and although they pushed desperately in search of the equaliser the home side might easily have increased their lead during what was a roller coaster period leading up to the end to the game.


Rovers began brightly with Kelvin Jackson proving to be a handful around the Saints’ box. But the game was only five minutes old when St. Pat’s took the lead. Having attacked down their left flank, Jamie McGlynn back-heeled the ball into the path of Ryan Coombes who slipped the ball into the box. Rovers were at sixes and sevens as Gavin Boyne knocked it further out wide to the inrushing Marco Chindea and the wide player delivered a rasping shot into the back of the Hoops’ net past Alex Condell.


Within two minutes St. Pat’s went further ahead as Rovers failed to clear and Boyne took full advantage as he got onto the ball and sent a low hard drive over the line to the delight of his team mates and the watching Pat’s fans.


Rovers had to be careful not to panic and they gradually settled down. In the fourteenth minute full back Adam Walsh got himself onto a Dylan Kearny free kick and headed ever so closely over the crossbar. Five minutes later and Walsh went close yet again when he skimmed the bar just over the bar. The Hoops were caught again on the break immediately following this and Eoin Hyland went very close to increasing the home team’s lead. We now had a very open game on our hands as both teams attacked aggressively. Pat’s centre half Sean Hoare made a long run out from the back and passed to Boyne, the latter quickly shifted the ball to Chindea in a move that had pace about it right from the start and the Hoops’ left full Joseph Lennon-Maher did extremely well to close down Chindea to break up the Saint’s play.


Glody Nsay for Rovers gets some close attention from St. Pat’s Paddy Collins at Richmond Park


Lennon-Maher went close himself at the other end in the twenty-eight minute as the Hoops enjoyed their best spell of the game so far. It had taken them a while but now the Hoops were beginning to create real chances. They had a good opportunity to claw back a goal in the thirty-third minute when Paddy Collins for Pat’s gave away a free in front of the box. The normally reliable Kearney didn’t do well with his chance though and was way off the mark with his free kick.


The teams went in at half time with the score still standing 2-0 in favour of the Saints. Rovers had come back into the game in the second half of the opening forty-five minutes but they gave the ball away numerous times when they weren’t under any particular pressure.


The second half was only two minutes old when Condell found himself having to make a save from a high ball by McGlynn. It looked dodgy for Rovers a minute later when Condell appeared to impede Boyne as the Saint’s striker ran in to the box with the ball at his feet but referee Adriano Reale was satisfied there was no foul committed. Then it was Rovers’ turn to threaten after Lennon-Maher gave a fantastic ball into midfielder Reece Gorman in the Pat’s box but the big lad shot just wide.


The play kept bouncing from one end to the other and in the fifty-third minute Glody Nsay gave away a free kick in a dangerous spot in front of the Rovers box but the wall did its job well and blocked substitute Jack McCarron’s effort.


The introduction of Tzee Mustapha certainly shook matters up somewhat and the Hoops’ midfielder went close on goal twice within a few minutes of coming into the fray. Gorman had a good chance but shot over the bar before Lennon-Maher closed Boyne down after the Saint’s striker had received a good ball from Peter Durrard. James Mullaney was making several great runs all the way to the Saint’s goal area at this stage and managed to get a great ball into the box but Lennon-Maher couldn’t steady quickly enough to have a shot. Jamie Goonery gave away a free kick which was taken by McCarron and Condell did well to get to it and push it away from danger.


The Saints were applying all the pressure for a short spell but the sting was taken out of it after Condell was injured in a goalmouth collision and play was stopped for several minutes. After this it was again the Hoops’ turn to enjoy the better of play. Dean Ebbe’s ball to Mark Sandford saw the latter go close but wide.


The Hoops altered their shape as they pushed centre half Goonery further up, moved Nsay back and brought on John Tambwe - the lad who twice previously this season scored late goals to save the day for the men in green and white. Indeed, Tambwe brought off a good save from Murphy in the Pat’s goal within four minutes of coming into the fray after Sandford had set him up. Tambwe was again involved a minute later when he latched on to Gorman’s beautiful free kick from inside the Rovers’ half and pushed it out to Lennon-Maher who came in from behind on the left and stroked the ball over the line despite the close attention of goalkeeper Murphy.


With the score now standing at 2-1 in favour of Pat’s the temperature rose even further.

Pat’s substitute Tom Mulroney managed to get the ball in to McGlynn and when the latter fired in a shot it took a vicious deflection off Walsh and looked goal-bound but Condell came to the rescue with a brilliant save. Pat’s might have very well have increased their lead but Rovers might also have managed to pull a draw out of the fire. Unfortunately for the Hoops Lennon-Maher’s goal came too late and time ran out for them in the end.


Former Hoops’ A team and Under 20’s manager Andy Myler is in charge of St. Pat’s Under 19’s and although they got off to a disappointing start to the campaign with a 5-0 defeat to Cobh Ramblers they have managed to turn things around with some good results in their recent outings. UCD, who were beaten by Shelbourne last Wednesday night, beat Cork today which just emphasises the open and competitive nature of this league which never fails to disappoint as the cream of Irish youth soccer display their talents.


St. Patrick’s Athletic: 1. Nathan Murphy, 2. Eoin Hyland, 3. Conor Murphy, 4. Jamie Smith, 5. Sean Hoare, 6. Paddy Collins, 7. Marco Chindea (McCarron 46 mins), 8. Ryan Coombes (Mulroney 71 mins), 9. Peter Durrard (Verdon 82 mins), 11. Jamie McGlynn, 18. Gavin Boyne. Substitutes: 12. Daniel Campbell, 13. Stephen Dunne, 15. Sam Verdon, 17. Jake Hyland, 19. Jack McCarron, 21. Tom Mulroney, 25. Peter Hopkins

Shamrock Rovers: 25. Alex Condell, 2. Adam Walsh, 3. Joseph Lennon-Maher, 4. Jamie Goonery, 5. Rhys Gorman, 6. James Mullaney, 7. Dylan Kearney (Tambwe 80 mins), 8. Glody Nsay, 9. Dean Ebbe, 10. Kelvin Jackson (Mustaphy 52 mins), 11. Ryan Doolin (Mark Sandford 61 mins). Substitutes: 1. Stephen Morris, 16. Alan Kehoe, 17. Clayton Stafford, 18. Ryan Dick, 19. John Tambwe, 20. Mark Sandford, 21. Toyeeb Mustapha


Referee: Adriano Reale.

Assistants: Paul Tuite & Daniel Corcoran


Match report by Robert Goggins



League Table

# Team M P
1 Dundalk 33 77
2 Cork City 33 70
3 Derry City 33 62
4 Shamrock Rovers 33 55
5 Sligo Rovers 33 49
6 Bray Wanderers 33 46
7 St. Patrick's Athletic 33 45
8 Bohemian FC 33 41
9 Galway United 33 38
10 Finn Harps 33 32
11 Wexford Youths 33 23
12 Longford Town 33 14

Club Sponsors & Official Partners  »

Official Website © Shamrock Rovers FC - All Rights Reserved - Shamrock Rovers FC Ltd.
Private Company Limited by Shares. Registered in Ireland. Reg No 245954.
Club Office: Tallaght Stadium, Whitestown Way, Tallaght, Dublin 24.
  Phone: (+353) 1 460 5948, Fax: (+353) 1 460 4875, Email: info@shamrockrovers.ie.