Rovers 7:1 Drogheda Utd

 Magnificent seven for Rovers to claim Setanta Sports Cup...

  Setanta Sports Cup Final - Tallaght Stadium - Saturday 11th May 2013
(3) 7 : 1 (0)
 Drogheda Utd
Chambers 12' O'Connor 14'
Sheppard 45' Finn 55' 56'
Dennehy 75' 88'    
       O'Neill 66'
photos Match Photographs here 
Hoops Line-Out
1 Barry Murphy
2 Pat Sullivan (c)
14 Danny Ledwith  
4 Jason McGuinness

16 Derek Foran  
6 Stephen Rice

8 James Chambers  
10 Sean O'Connor
21 Ronan Finn
17 Karl Sheppard  
20 Billy Dennehy
9 Mark Quigley for Sheppard 60'
11 Ciaran Kilduff for O'Connor 71'
7 Gary McCabe
for Quigley 77'
18 Shane Robinson  
22 Conor McCormack  
26 David Elebert
25 Richard Brush  


A magnificent display by the Hoops to claim the "All Ireland Champions" title as they demolished the Drogs challenge and were on top right from the start. The Drogs did try to rally in the second-half and deserved their consolation goal but they could not cope with the fluidity and movement of the Rovers midfield and attack.

A good open start to the game was punctuated by a hailstorm that necessitated the switching on of the floodlights but both sides kept the ball moving well and Ronan Finn had an early shot blocked and on 8 minutes a good move involving Rice O'Connor and Dennehy ended with Pat Sullivans low shot that 'keeper Sava saved.

ball5[GOAL 1:0 - 12th min.] A Sean O'Connor corner fell to Derek Foran and he sprayed the ball out to O'Connor again and his cross was met by a defenders header but the ball crashed off James Chambers and looped over Sava and into the net.

ball5[GOAL 2:0 - 14th min.] The Drogs were ahocked and Rovers took advantage when Dennehy and Ledwith combined for the full back to cross deep and the ball fell nicely for Sean O'Connor and from a tight angle he beat Sava and the ball nestled in the corner of the net.

The game settled a little after the frenetic start and on 18 minutes the Brennan brothers combined for Ryan Brennan to head wide at the back post. On 27 minutes Karl Sheppard ran on to a through ball but his cut back from the bye-line went behind O'Connor.

Rovers almost added to their lead when a Chambers cross was met with a powerful header from Jason McGuinness but Sava made an incredible one-handed save to deny a certain goal. On the half-hour a snap shot from 20 yards out by O'Connor almost caught Sava off guard but he recovered to save with his legs.

ball5[GOAL 3:0 - 45th min.] The Hoops finished off a good first-half with a quality goal Dennehy fed Finn and he slipped a great low ball into the path of Karl Sheppard and the Hoops striker coolly shot under the advancing 'keeper to increase the lead.

Drogheda came out fighting in the second period but Rovers had the first chance when Sullivan's cross found the head of Sheppard but he couldn't get his effort on target. A tame shot from Cassidy when well placed in the box was saved by Murphy and minutes later Ryan Brennan had a free header in the area but luckily McGuinness hooked the ball clear.

On 54 minutes Graham Rusk had a good chance to score but he failed to connect in front of goal with Cassidy's flick on. Ronan Finn then single-handedly wrapped up the game for Rovers in a blistering two minute spell.

ball5[GOAL 4:0 - 55th min.] Karl Sheppard found Finn in space and he ran at the Drogs defence before turning in onto his his right-foot to drill a brilliant shot from 20 yards that went in off the left-hand post.

ball5[GOAL 5:0 - 56th min.] Billy Dennehy raided down the left and his low cross found Finn in the box and he pulled the ball back to make space for himself to guide his shot past Save.

The Botnesiders never threw in the towel and continues to push forward with Ryan Brennan guilty of a bad miss when he connected with a cross at the back post. David Cassidy then played the same player in again on the right hand side of the box but he again missed the target this time with a shot.

ball5[GOAL 5:1 - 66th min.] Drogheda got their consolation goal when Gavin Brennan's low shot was flicked past Murphy by ex-Hoop Gary O'Neill just after David Cassidy saw his header crash off the crossbar.

Gary O'Neill almost grabbed a second goal within a minute when he headed over the bar from close range following Ryan Brennan's header into the area.

ball5[GOAL 6:1 - 75th min.] James Chambers threaded a low ball inside the Drogs defence and Billy Dennehy ran on to the ball and although Sava saved his first effort he was able to shoot into the net from a tight angle on the right.

Mark Quigley had to be replaced due to injury after only 17 minutes on the pitch as the Hoops played out the remaining minutes of the game.

ball5[GOAL 7:1 - 88th min.] However the Hoops weren't finished yet and the impressive Rice found sub Kilduff in space on the right-hand side of the box and his low driven ball across the Drogs goal saw Billy Dennehy steal in at the back post to guide his angled shot into the net and complete the rout.

Rovers celebrated at the final whistle as the first trophy of the season was lifted. Ronan Finn was awarded man of the match.




League Table

# Team M P
1 Dundalk 33 77
2 Cork City 33 70
3 Derry City 33 62
4 Shamrock Rovers 33 55
5 Sligo Rovers 33 49
6 Bray Wanderers 33 46
7 St. Patrick's Athletic 33 45
8 Bohemian FC 33 41
9 Galway United 33 38
10 Finn Harps 33 32
11 Wexford Youths 33 23
12 Longford Town 33 14

Club Sponsors & Official Partners  »

Official Website © Shamrock Rovers FC - All Rights Reserved - Shamrock Rovers FC Ltd.
Private Company Limited by Shares. Registered in Ireland. Reg No 245954.
Club Office: Tallaght Stadium, Whitestown Way, Tallaght, Dublin 24.
  Phone: (+353) 1 460 5948, Fax: (+353) 1 460 4875, Email: