Rovers 3:0 Bohemians

Rovers (1) 3   - Murray 24' Twigg 63' Dennehy 85'  
Bohemians (0) 0 - 
Airtricity League - Tallaght Stadium - Sunday 8th August 2010  

1 Alan Mannus
2 Enda Stevens
5 Aiden Price
24 Dan Murray(c)
13 Pat Flynn

15 Paddy Kavanagh
7 Stephen Bradley

6 Stephen Rice

25 Robert Bayly
9 Gary Twigg
23 Thomas Stewart

4 Craig Sives
for Kavanagh 60'
8 James Chambers
for Bradley 52'
20 Billy Dennehy

for Twigg 78'
16 Pat Jennings
11 Neale Fenn




Dan Murray Dan Murray
Great display and scored the opener...

The Hoops served up a first class display to see off rivals Bohemians despite the loss of Pat Flynn after only 58 minutes. Rovers were feeling some fatigue from Thursdays European encounter but were sharper in front of goal to claim the three points from third placed Bohs.

Rovers started brightly and when Paddy Kavanagh was fouled 25 yards out from goal Stephen Bradley clipped the free-kick off the top of Barry Murphy’s cross-bar.

On 8 minutes Pat Flynn needlessly conceded a free-kick and the cross was punched away by Alan Mannus and Quigley sent his shot across goal. Stevens set up Gary Twigg to cross on 12 minutes but Quigley was happy to concede a corner which Barry Murphy claimed well.

Rovers were applying some pressure and Kavanagh turned Rossiter to cross low into the area but Murphy got down well to save. The deadlock was broken on 24 minutes when Stewart found himself in space on the left and his cross evaded Twigg but Captain Dan Murray was on hand to plant his left-foot shot into the corner of the net.

The goal provoked a reaction from the visitors and Flynn and Stevens made good defensive headers from corners. Madden found some space in the box on 30 minutes but Flynn was on hand to block his effort.

Two minutes later Stevens set up Stewart to cross but the ball was cleared for a corner. Stephen Rice delivered the ball into the box and Murphy’s clearance was met by Bayly’s header but Rossiter was on hand to head clear in front of goal.

On 38 minutes Aiden Price failed to cut out a ball to Madden and the Bohs number nine went around Stevens and it needed a timely interception by Murray to deny him a shot on goal.

Bohs were on top as the half drew to a close and Brennan saw his cross come off the cross-bar and Quigley followed up with a low shot but Mannus got down to save. With five minutes remaining Owen Heary went close with a shot from the edge of the area following Quigley’s free-kick.

The Gypsies started the second-half well and Quigley crossed again but this time Madden couldn’t direct his header on target. Mannus took Brennan’s high cross on 55 minutes before a good run by Stewart at the other end caused problems.

A bizarre mix-up between Shelly and Murphy almost handed Stewart a goal but Shelly recovered just in time to block the shot. On 58 minutes a Chambers free-kick to the back post was met by Price but his header crashed off the Bohs cross-bar.

The ball broke to the other end of the pitch and Flynn kicked out at McGlynn and was shown a straight red card by Referee McKeon.

The visitors sensed that the game was turning their way and started to apply some serious pressure but Rovers regained the initiative on 63 minutes when Price found Twigg with a great ball and the Glasgow man turned two defenders before slotting the ball under Murphy to score.

It was exactly what the Hoops needed after going down to 10 men and they dug in to protect the two-goal cushion. Mannus done well to take a cross under pressure on 68 minutes and three minutes later a Quigley shot across goal was deflected out for a corner and the resultant cross saw firstly Price and then Rice on hand to clear the danger.

The visitors almost got a goal back on 75 minutes when Madden rose to head Brennan’s header off the underside of the Hoops cross-bar and the ball was hacked away for Rovers to counter attack and Bayly was only denied by Murphy as he raced clear towards the Bohs goal.

The Hoops defence continued to repel the Bohs attack and with five minutes remaining Tommy Stewart ran at the Bohs defence and slipped the ball in for substitute Dennehy who turned his marker to slot the ball past Murphy and give the Hoops an unassailable 3-0 lead.

Bohs went looking for a consolation but knew it wasn’t their day when Oman failed to connect with Quigley’s free-kick in front of goal. The final whistle rounded off a good weeks work for Rovers and they moved level with St Patricks Athletic at the top of the table.




League Table

# Team M P
1 Dundalk 33 77
2 Cork City 33 70
3 Derry City 33 62
4 Shamrock Rovers 33 55
5 Sligo Rovers 33 49
6 Bray Wanderers 33 46
7 St. Patrick's Athletic 33 45
8 Bohemian FC 33 41
9 Galway United 33 38
10 Finn Harps 33 32
11 Wexford Youths 33 23
12 Longford Town 33 14

Club Sponsors & Official Partners  »

Official Website © Shamrock Rovers FC - All Rights Reserved - Shamrock Rovers FC Ltd.
Private Company Limited by Shares. Registered in Ireland. Reg No 245954.
Club Office: Tallaght Stadium, Whitestown Way, Tallaght, Dublin 24.
  Phone: (+353) 1 460 5948, Fax: (+353) 1 460 4875, Email: